Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor, 1932-2011


It was inevitable that Elizabeth Taylor would pass on any day here, but nothing prepared me for when it finally happened.

Today the world lost yet another icon and I lost my favorite actress. To me there are few stars in Hollywood history that epitomized the class and elegance of Elizabeth Taylor. She was part of a small echelon that included greats like Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn -- women whose beauty and refinement transcended what seemed humanely possible.

Her stunning lavender eyes, dark hair, 16'' waist, and lifelong love affair with diamonds were what roped many in, but Elizabeth's real gift was how talented she was on screen. My favorite of her movies are:

1.) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof


2.) Giant


3.) Butterfield 8


At Elizabeth's 65th birthday party, Madonna told the audience that "When I was a little girl, I wanted to be as beautiful as Elizabeth Taylor." I think all of us did and still do.

Arrividerci, Ms. Taylor. You were the stuff legends were made of.

2 comments:

  1. I think Madonna summed it up perfectly. She is timeless, and will be missed, but never forgotten.

    I think a Liz Taylor movie marathon may be in order!

    ReplyDelete